"If she [Elizabeth] is innocent! Why do you never wonder if Parris be innocent, or Abigail? Is the accuser always holy now? Were they born this morning as clean as God’s fingers? I’ll tell you what’s walking Salem—vengeance is walking Salem. We are what we always were in Salem, but now the little crazy children are jangling the keys of the kingdom, and common vengeance writes the law! This warrant’s vengeance! I’ll not give my wife to vengeance!" ~ John Proctor
John Proctor is one of the sane group of people left in Salem because Abigail told him the truth which is why he calls her out. He also calls out the fact that the trials are not fair, because the court is not taking into account the fact that the accusers could be lying, here his temper flares up and understandably so.
I agree. We see his point, his cause, and his anger, and we understand, to some extent, why he does all he does. Arthur is so good at writing characters. We see his pain as he is virtually the only one with the right mind, but because of his minority he cannot turn one person(Except Hale later on) to see it with him. It is a tragic story that I think should make us listen more rather than talk, for it is easy to be Proctor, but difficult to be Hale.
ReplyDelete