Tuesday, October 3, 2017

The Crucible

"It discomfits me! Last night - mark this - I tried and tried and could not say my prayers. And then she close her book and walks out of the house, and suddenly - mark this - I could pray again!" ~ Giles

This just goes to show how extreme their superstition was. There could be so many reasons as to why he couldn't say his prayers. If he was thinking of something else, or was distracted then it is quite easy to struggle with prayers. It just seems like any little thing could have been taken as witchcraft, it's almost as though the wanted it to be true for excitement.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, these are the points where we start to question what was happening for real and what was hysteria. It seems like pretty flimsy evidence to say that one minute you could say your prayers and the next moment you couldn't. It shows how much excitement there was and how bogus evidence could be but still fly.

    ReplyDelete